Friday, September 26, 2008

Linda's Fresh Fruit (Peach) Pie

This is Aunt Linda's fresh fruit (peach) pie recipe. Its way good. If you make it too often, you can't blame me for the extra pounds!

Make a single layer pie crust and cook it. Let it cool. Wash, peel, and cut your fruit, and place it in your crust. Then follow directions below, but don't wait too long or you will have brown fruit.

1 1/2 C sugar
1/4 C cornstarch
Mix in a pot, then add
1 1/2 C water
Bring to a boil, stirring, then remove from heat.
Add 1 small package jello* (just the powder, don't follow jello directions)
Stir and let it thicken a little bit.

Pour over fruit in crust.
Put in fridge for at least 2 hours (although it usually takes my pie more like 4 or 5 to be set). You may want to put a plate under it for it to drip on or you'll be cleaning your fridge!

We like to put cool whip or whipping cream on our pie!

TIPS:
You can use whatever flavor of jello you want to. I like to use raspberry jello with my peach pie, or peach jello depending on my mood.

You really could make this a strawberry pie, or some other fruit, but I personally think peach is the best (my family would probably really like strawberry, but why make a pie if you can't eat it?) Although, I should make it a raspberry pie sometime, that would be even more heavenly!

If I make this in my regular pie plate, it always overflows. I have started making it in my deep-dish style pie plate and it fits in the pie plate better.

I usually use 5-7 peaches, depending on how big they are.

I have noticed that the pie still looks good on day 2, but on day 3 it starts to look ugly and get a little bit of a "different" texture to it - so don't try to save it too long. Just enjoy it! Give in! Eat all you want/can, or at least have some friends over to share it with in the first place! You can always make another one on day 4 (if not sooner)!

No comments: